Course Code: IRS201905
Courses Name: Applied Probiotics in Nutraceuticals
Name of HOD - Prof. J B Prajapati, PhD
Designation of HOD - Professor of Dairy Microbiology and Former Dean, Faculty of Dairy Science, AAU, Anand, India.
About the course : Probiotics: past, present, future! Moving from food to pharma?
Some of the most trending subjects in applied probiotics course are:
- Sources and accurate characterization of probiotic cultures
- Choosing the right matrix and dispensing form
- How to maintain viability and functionality of probiotics
- Technological interventions to application of probiotics as food ingredients.
- Probiotic intervention to modulate human microbiome
These are related to course.
However, the hot research areas in probiotic science are:
- Study of micro biomes of various parts of the human body like gut, skin, oral cavity, vagina, etc. and how probiotic intervention can positively manipulate them.
- Looking for new generation probiotics like Akkermansia, Bacteroides, etc
- Looking for efficacy of Postbiotics and bioactive from probiotics
- Efficacy of probiotics in life style diseases and mental disorders
- Looking for alternate techniques for delivery of probiotics
- Diversifying application of probiotics in other than food and pharma, like cosmetics, hygiene, etc.
|Course Status :||Admissions open|
|No. of Modules||13|
|Course Type :||Elective|
|Duration :||13 Weeks|
|Category :||Food Technology, Pharmaceuticals and Nutraceuticals|
|Credit Points :||2|
|Level :||Postgraduate/ Undergraduate|
Mode of Study: The Course curriculum will be delivered through automated online lectures, and case studies on the Nutrify Today Academy platform. Grading will be based on a series of individual assignments and a final test on completion of all the modules.
- Understand your microbiome
- Identify the major microbes that inhabit the body
- Differentiate between healthy and pathogenic microbes
- Identify the major pathogenic microbes
- Identify major diseases caused by pathogenic microbes
- Examine the research showing how certain diseases may be treated with probiotics
- Know how fermented (probiotic) foods are made
- Utilize probiotic supplementation therapeutically
- Identify prebiotics and the foods that contain them
Introductory session –Overview
- Evolution of probiotics, prebiotics & synbiotics
- Microbiology, biochemistry and Technology of Probiotics
- The potential business
- Probiotic food, supplements, ingredients and pharma
Probiotics: past, present, future! Moving from food to pharma?
- The difference generations of Probiotics
- The importance of Microbiota in Health & Disease
- Selection & Evaluation of Strains
Overview of Probiotic food and Pharma industry
- Efficacy data on most investigated probiotic cultures
- Health benefits of probiotics
Basics of probiotic cultures – isolation, identification and characterization of candidate probiotic microorganisms.
- Classification of probiotic microbes
- Natural sources of probiotics
- Techniques of isolation, characterization, identification
Criteria for selection of probiotic candidate organisms
- How to choose suitable candidate organism?
- Evaluation of health and nutritional benefits
- Testing fitness for processing
- Testing viability and functionality in human host
Methods, media and requirements for enumeration of probiotic microbes from food and pharma products.
- Enumeration of probiotics
Gut microbiota and significance of probiotics in its modulation
- Gut Microbiota and development of gut microbiota
- Dysbiosis of the gut microbiota – linked to disease?
- Modulation of the gut microbiota
- Probiotics – Criteria, Mechanism & Clinical Evidence
|Week 8||Fundamentals of product development using probiotics.|
Processing and technological aspects.
- Selecting the right organism
- Selecting the right food matrix
- Means of dispensing the probiotics
- Choosing product formats
Probiotic foods, food ingredients, food supplements and their nutritional aspects
- The microbiome and probiotics
- The science behind probiotics – how we use science & clinical science
- New research areas & communications
Probiotic bioactive and their therapeutic applications
- Factors affecting the intestinal micro ecosystem
- Bio functional properties of bioactive peptides
Packaging and storage aspects of probiotic foods, supplements and ingredients
- Categorization of probiotic markets & production
- The importance of packaging
- Active packaging systems for probiotics
- Storage stability
Probiotic ingredients and their applications in food and pharma
- Introduction – The human microbiome & probiotics
- Probiotics & Health
- Introduction to IFF probiotics
- Probiotics in food & pharma products
Role of Gut Microbiota in Diabetes
What is the admissions process for the programme?
The admissions process is completely online and is customised as per your educational and professional profile. Following are the key steps in the application process:
- Step 1: Register yourself on to Nutrify Today platform by clicking on https://nutrifytoday.net/ and create your individual profile, building your CV onto the platform.
- Step 2: Select up skill > Academy > Master classes
- Step 3: Select the course and make the payment, receive immediate access to the prep content and begin your Nutrify Today Academy journey.
- 100% online
- This Course Plus the Full Specialization
- Shareable Certificates
- Self-Paced Learning Option
- Course Videos & Readings
Intended audience : Any current Masters pursing students or professionals of Food technology, Pharmaceuticals and Nutraceuticals streams
- Bioscience/Life Sciences such as Biochemistry, Microbiology, Genetics, Biotechnology, Botany, Zoology, B.Pharmacy/ M. Pharmacy / Pharmaceutical Sciences/Chemistry / Biostatistics / Bioinformatics
Criteria to get the Certificate : Exam score = 80% of the proctored certification exam score out of 100
- Certificate will have your name, photograph and the score in the final exam with the breakup
- Only the e-certificate will be made available. Hard copies will not be dispatched.
Internship opportunities and Nutrify Today industrial connects for job opportunities in the field of R & D, Regulatory, and Manufacturing departments of Nutraceuticals, Pharmaceuticals and Food Technology.